[mapguide-internals] fdogdal, ECW, etc

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu May 10 00:57:03 EDT 2007

Folks,

OK, I spent part of the afternoon and evening trying to build and test
fdogdal with ecw/mrsid support (and the remainder of the afternoon
evening trying to rebuild my ego after failure).

I went through a few different scenarios with varying issues.  But
ultimately this report captures the normal failure with my own build
of fdogdal, and gdal13.dll

----
C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\Server\Bin>mgserver /run
Running the server interactively as an application instead of as a service.

(3648|5444) Server starting...
(3648|5444) PROJ4 Coordinate System Library
(3648|5444) Server started.
GDAL: Auto register C:\Program Files\MapGuideOpenSource\Server\Bin\gdalplugins\g
dal_ECW.dll using GDALRegister_ECW.
ECW: Actually creating ECW driver.
ECW: OpenECW(C:/temp/ecw/World.ecw)
ECW: Open(C:/temp/ecw/World.ecw)
ECW: NCScbmOpenFileView(C:/temp/ecw/World.ecw): eErr = 0
ECW: FileInfo: SizeXY=4320,2153 Bands=3
        OriginXY=-180.084,89.75  CellIncrementXY=0.083333,-0.083333

ECW: projection=RAW, datum=RAW
GDAL: GDALOpen(C:/temp/ecw/World.ecw) succeeds as ECW.

(3648|5464) Cannot create any more connections to the OSGeo.Gdal FDO provider.
Exception occured in method MgFdoConnectionManager.Open at line 257 in file c:\b
uild_bond_area\mapguide_open_source_v1.2\build_11.8\mgdev\server\src\common\mana
ger\FdoConnectionManager.cpp
----

In this scenario ran MgServer with the CPL_DEBUG environment variable
set to ON.  I also had to clear the GDAL_DRIVER_PATH environment variable
but I suspect that was a local issue on my machine, not something that
will happen to everyone.

Can anyone comment on the error message reported by MgServer:

(3648|5464) Cannot create any more connections to the OSGeo.Gdal FDO provider.
Exception occured in method MgFdoConnectionManager.Open at line 257 in file
c:\build_bond_area\mapguide_open_source_v1.2\build_11.8\mgdev\server\src\common\mana
ger\FdoConnectionManager.cpp

This occured some time after selecting an ECW based raster layer (like one
or two minutes later).

I was using WebStudio since I despaired of getting the Studio 2008 beta
downloaded and installed.  I don't have much capability to edit a map
configuration with raster data using webstudio, but existing configurations
seem to work ok and I can edit the directory for a data source object.

I find it painfully difficult to find out what is happening in mapguide.
Is there anything a /debug switch for MgServer that will produce lots of
logging info on what is going on?

Best regards,