[mapguide-internals] Server stability issues

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Thu Nov 8 13:48:10 EST 2007

I have been working on an OpenLayers provider for the MapGuide server.
Every now and then the server will choke on a request and return an
empty stream.
This is quite annoying as it becomes a red image in OpenLayers.
I can see no messages in the log about this failure.
Re-issuing the excact same request gives the correct result.

Another issue is that if a layer fails to render once, it will never
render again, until I restart the server.
Is that by-design, or is it a bug?
Unfortunately my layers fail every now and then (for unknown reasons),
which results in the map slowly degenerating until no data is showed at all.
I can see the fail log the first time but not subsequent failure messages.

I have tried to use the OpenLayers automatic tiling feature, and it
works great.
However, it appears that the labeling and symbol algorithm tries to
place the label/symbol within the map.
This is undesireable, could it be easily fixed with a simple flag?
If yes, a pointer to the fix place will be appreciated.

--
Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S