[mapguide-internals] MapGuide LGPL license

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Fri Apr 4 11:06:59 EDT 2008

I was wondering how it is possible for Autodesk to build and distribute
modified LGPL code?
I am not objecting to this, and I believe it is fair that Autodesk earns
a revenue, as they are the primary funders for the project.
I am currious, because the idea of providing source code to others, but
maintaining a "pro" binary is commercially interresting in some aspects.
I also belive that Autodesk has done the legal homework, and I am not a
lawyer :).

I have read the LGPL some times, and it clearly states that you may use
unmodified LGPL code, only if it is a "work that uses the Library".
Otherwise, the entire source code must be published including the
modifications.

The "work that uses the Library" part is a little weak, but I have an
understanding that Autodesk applies some internal patches before
releasing the code.
Is it simply because Autodesk retains the original copyright, so they
can do as they wish?

--
Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S