[mapguide-internals] Discuss: RFC 48 - MapStudio Open Source

Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Mon Apr 21 03:02:14 EDT 2008

I would like to clarify the "Custom .Net API" part.
MapStudio uses an API that is seperated from the GUI.
The part used in MapStudio is purely a wrapper for the various methods
avalible in the HTTP interface for MapGuide.
This is required, because the official MapGuide API assumes a dedicated
port and somewhat trusted connection.

On top of this, there is an Xml serializer/deserializer that converts
between xml and .Net classes.
Since there is a little overhead in the HTTP protocol, I decided to use
the same interface, but use the official API to provide the connection.

I have considered upgrading the entire application to .Net 2.0, which
will remove the need for the patched .Net 1.1 API.
I don't see a need to embrace the MapStudio API as an "adopted" API, but
it does provide an easier interface to MapGuide for .Net users.

Regards, Kenneth, GEOGRAF A/S