[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 55 - Switch from PROJ4 to CS-Map coordinate system library

Hugues Wisniewski hugues.wisniewski at autodesk.com
Mon Aug 11 13:41:30 EDT 2008

Hi Crispin,

>can there be a final 2.0.2 release before committing to CS-Map in 2.1?
What would you like to see in that 2.0.2 release? A choice between PROJ4 and CS-Map?

If someone really wants to try PROJ4 on the next release of MapGuide open source that's easy to do.
The steps to move to CS-Map are detailed in the RFC. So, the steps to revert the changes are the same.
If you want to generate a PROJ4 build on the next release of MapGuide, you need to keep the current PROJ4 wrapper that is inside:
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/Common/CoordinateSystem/

The following solution files have a reference to the PROj4 project so that it can be built:
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/Server/Server.sln
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/Web/src/WebTier.sln

Then, MgGeometry.dll is linked with the PROJ4 lib file. The setting are inside this project:
http://svn.osgeo.org/mapguide/trunk/MgDev/Common/Geometry/Geometry.vcproj

Once MgGeometry.dll is built, that's it, you have the PROJ4 library available in MapGuide.
Then, it's a question of handling the various processes like unit tests, builds on various platforms, packaging that will only be handled with the CS-Map library for the reasons described in the RFC

> Will there be a seperate
> download for the additional support files?  The 'Dictionaries' folder is
> about 300MB uncompressed.
Are we talking about the end user installer?
It is not finalized yet but I am pretty sure the same philosophy as the one used for the postings on this page will be used:
http://mapguide.osgeo.org/download/releases/2.0.1
If you want the source zipped file, you'll have to get CS-map the same way you get FDO as they are both OSGEO projects.
So like you have: "Requires FDO 3.3.1 which is available from fdo.osgeo.org.", you'll have:
"Requires CS-Map x.x.x which is available from (TBD) http://trac.osgeo.org/csmap/xxx"

If you install MapGuide server using the Windows installer, I believe the installer will take care of installing all it needs. That would indeed inflate the size of the installer.

What is big in CS-Map is all the grid files that come from various official sources. The dictionary files themselves are comparatively way smaller like 5.5MB once they are compiled (including the 1.5MB WKT text mapping file).

Hugues