[mapguide-internals] RFC 50 - Hide Legend Styles

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Jul 22 12:52:59 EDT 2008

I can hear the ADSK folks cringing at the scope creep.  Kenneth, are you
able to help out with the coding on these changes?

I believe that these changes would be best made in the map definition
schema.  Not that there's anything wrong with modifying two schemas as
part of a single RFC if the same code needs to be touched for both. :)

I wonder how sensitive the server code is to schema changes in this
area.  I'm thinking that the enableVisibilityChange item would likely
not be all that invasive?

The alternativeImage item would have all kinds in interactions with
things like GetLegendImage though.  And if work is going to be done on
alternative images, it would be a good to ensure that this doesn't get
in the way of ticket #22 (using CSS sprites for legend image loads):
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/ticket/22  Fusion supports sprites in the
MapServer legend now (in sandbox), so I'm hoping that MapGuide
eventually goes there as well.  The number of files being loaded on map
initiation is one of the core factors in perceived performance now.

Maybe some of these interactions could be avoided by limiting the
alternativeImage tag to map groups (not layers) for now?

From: Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S
Subject: Re: [mapguide-internals] RFC 50 - Hide Legend Styles

I would like this to part of RFC 50.
Since the RFC is only about server/schema changes, the change proposed
by Jason could be implemented with an "alternativeImage" and an
"enableVisibilityChange" attribute.

The change in the viewers should also be very limited.
I can update the RFC with this enhancement, if no-one objects.