Sponsorship (was: RE: [mapguide-internals] PSC Meeting)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Mar 20 13:17:53 EDT 2008

The GDAL project does a great job with its project sponsorship program:

http://www.gdal.org/sponsorship.html

It's more general though; the PSC decides where to allocate the funds.
The OSGeo project sponsorship program does have an "earmark" option
though:

http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship

Management through OSGeo is a strong benefit to this kind of program.

From: Andy Morsell
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] PSC Meeting

For those that can't contribute from a coding sense, either due to time
constraints or not having the abilities, we should have a mechanism for
financial contribution to that particular feature.  If we get enough
people
to contribute to, say, having WebStudio becoming fully featured, then it
would make a lot more sense for developers with the abilities to put it
into
their project schedules.   I know that I, as a small company, would be
willing to contribute around $2k to this and if we could get enough
people
to do likewise, then that project would be much more likely to take off.
In
short, money talks.