[mapguide-internals] PSC Meeting

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Thu Mar 20 13:17:27 EDT 2008

Andy Morsell wrote:
> For those that can't contribute from a coding sense, either due to time
> constraints or not having the abilities, we should have a mechanism for
> financial contribution to that particular feature.  If we get enough people
> to contribute to, say, having WebStudio becoming fully featured, then it
> would make a lot more sense for developers with the abilities to put it into
> their project schedules.   I know that I, as a small company, would be
> willing to contribute around $2k to this and if we could get enough people
> to do likewise, then that project would be much more likely to take off.  In
> short, money talks.

Andy,

OSGeo has a formal mechanism for project sponsorship that could be employed
to handle this.

   http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Project_Sponsorship

Basically, the project would decide to participate in the sponsorship
program (which carries some reporting responsibilities) and then solicit
sponsors.  Normally such funds are unconstrained, but it is also an option
for the project PSC to declare project(s) that it wants to pursue and for
sponsors to direct that their funding is intended for those efforts (earmarked
sponsorships).

Before pursuing any such steps though, it might make sense to see if anyone
can come up with a proposal concrete enough that would be worth funding.

PS. I suspect many web developers with some JavaScript skills and an
interest could contribute to WebStudio with a bit of ramp-up time!

Best regards,