[mapguide-internals] GDAL Stability (Was: Project Sponsorship)

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Tue Nov 25 15:54:51 EST 2008

Hi Tom,

Did you do any testing against MrSID or ECW libraries, and if so, care
to share the results?

I know there's not much you can do about this on the MapGuide level, and
I know that Frank has indicated some pain about the wavelet drivers
before.  Bit painful for those of use that don't have enough storage on
our MapGuide servers though :)

From: Tom Fukushima
Subject: RE: [mapguide-internals] RE: Project Sponsorship

[snip]

BTW, we spent a lot of time looking into the GDAL provider problem
recently and did not find any stability problems with GeoTIFF. We were
going to update the ticket with the information, but it looks like that
hasn't been done yet. There is a memory leak and that will cause a crash
after a while, but we don't see any threading problems.  So with MGOS
2.0.2 and GeoTIFF (use GDAL to create these) things are stable.