[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 57 - Refining the linuxbuildprocess and generating install packages

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Nov 26 02:53:16 EST 2008

It's encouraging to me to hear that Tom is enthusiastic about this; I took the general silence around Linux builds to be a sign of disapproval.  Have to learn to stop looking over my shoulder.

I believe that the site server/support server used MapGuide's internal TCP/IP to communicate between the various services.  BDB replication would allow you to run a repository "farm", with a single master and multiple slaves.  Writes all go to one repository, and reads get balanced to the slaves.  Apparently it allows the client software to elect a new master from the slaves if the primary is down too.  This would nicely get around the current problems with load balancing and sessions / server affinity.  I didn't get a chance to look at it in depth, but it seemed to be a good fit.

As far as I know GEOS doesn't have a windows binary, but it should be relatively straightforward to build it.  I'm only a couple hours away from Paul's doorstep if I can't get it to compile :)

Jason