[mapguide-internals] MapGuide open source builds

Trevor Wekel trevor.wekel at autodesk.com
Wed Oct 8 14:39:32 EDT 2008

Hi everyone,

To build on Windows, we need compilation support for both C++ and .Net.  We may be able to install both the Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition for C++ and Express Edition for .Net to get the required compilation support.  There may also be pieces missing from the 2008 Express Editions which we would need to install separately such as the Platform SDK.

Please keep in mind we already have an effective build process for Windows using Visual Studio solution and project files.  This also makes it easier to debug MapGuide using Visual Studio 2008.  Personally as a developer, I would be a little grumpy if we dumped this.  As far as I am concerned, Visual Studio is still the best development/debugging environment out there for the Windows platform.

Based on Jason's original suggestions, I did a little research into NSIS.  For packaging MapGuide, I think it will work.  One thing I did notice is that NSIS does not seem to support direct modification of the IIS metabase.  If we want the Web Extensions installer to correctly register MapGuide under IIS, we may need to write some custom code.  Microsoft .Net does have API for modifying the metabase so we could write a custom .Net dll for this portion of the install.

Or alternatively, we could just use Visual Studio Standard Edition.  It bundles C++ and .Net support and comes with installer projects suitable for MapGuide.  The installer projects support web deployment.  From what I understand, you get a nice GUI tree for your virtual directory structure, and you can add application mappings through the UI.  It looks dirt easy.

The full product comparison for the various Visual Studio versions is available here  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/vs2008/products/cc149003.aspx.  For the most part, there is not a huge difference between the Standard and Professional versions.  Visual Studio Standard edition costs about $340 CDN.  If we go with this approach, anyone wanting to work on the installers would need to purchase Visual Studio Standard.  Anyone just doing regular development should be able to get away with the Express Editions.