[mapguide-internals] MapGuide open source builds - Linux & Cmake

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Oct 8 23:12:24 EDT 2008

Zac Spitzer wrote:
> Just breaking the Cmake stuff out into a seperate thread
>
> Based on the feedback from the AD developers about sticking with the VS
> build system on Windows, what do people think about the Cmake option on linux
>
>>From the sound of things if we go ahead with this, we are going to
> keep the existing
> build system for windows and adopt cmake for any other platforms
>
> Can we add Helio's stuff to the tree and run with two build systems?
>
> Helio, the existing full build with all the embedded thirdparty stuff
> works currently?
>
> If it does and we don't have to worry about the issues like the db 4.2
> you mentioned
> the 2.1 release could be a good opportunity to test this out as I
> assume quite a
> few people are going to be trying to compile 2.1 on linux
>
> I am prepared to be a crash test dummy on this...

Zac,

I don't feel like I ever really understood what cmake would be accomplishing
for us if we only used it on Unix.  I'm concerned we are substituting a
build system we know nothing about for a build system we at least sort of
know.  Perhaps the main benefits of Helio's work are getting away from the
dependency on our own copy of third party libraries, or stuff like that.
If that is the case, then why not pursue that more directly?

Best regards,