[mapguide-internals] Installer progress

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Fri Apr 24 15:04:55 EDT 2009

I could be wrong on any of this, but I think the initialization of the coordinate system calls SetDefaultDictionaryDirAndFileNames which does the following:

Gets the default dictionary dir (MENTOR_DICTIONARY_PATH or the autodesk string if that isn't set)
Gets the default CS dictionary filename ("Coordsys.CSD")
Gets the default Datum dictionary filename ("Datums.CSD")
Gets the default Ellipsoid dictionary filename ("Elipsoid.CSD")
Gets the default Ellipsoid dictionary filename ("Category.CSD")

Then it goes and sets each of them to test validity.

If your MENTOR_DICTIONARY_PATH is set properly, and all of these files exist, then either MapGuide isn't able to read the environmental variable properly, or something is going wrong in the validation steps for the directory or the individual files.  This is starting to get a bit technical, but would it be possible for you to use something like SysInternals' FileMon to see what's going on in the Program Files/OSGeo directory during MapGuide startup?

As an aside, I was a bit confused by this code, since the default dictionary names appear to be set as part of each dictionary's initialization, and their content validated when SetDictionaryDir is called.  SetDefaultDictionaryDirAndFileNames seems to be more of a "reset" function than an initialization function.  Wouldn't it be sufficient to just call GetDefaultDictionaryDir and SetDictionaryDir?