[mapguide-internals] mgos installer question/comments

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Wed Apr 29 12:02:18 EDT 2009

Paul wrote:
> question: why does the installer need 900+ MB on c:\ even
> if you install elsewhere?

I think it's an MSI thing; the bootstrapper expands one copy, and then msiexec creates a copy to install from.  But with TEMP re-pointed, maybe that's not the problem.

Maybe we'll try exposing an InstallDir dialog earlier in the process and see if that helps... at this point I want to limit changes in the installer to fixing critical problems though, so this will likely have to wait for 2.2.

> installer tells me it is going to use over 900 MB on c:\ but after
> install it has only used about 500MB

On the C drive?  What's installed there?

> comment: apache continually complains that "an unknown filter was
> not added: DEFLATE" in the error log

Hmm.  Jackie added something to the Apache conf file to enable mod_deflate on .js files (I think).  But perhaps it isn't enabled?

> comment: the mapguide service doesn't start automatically the first
> time?

After the first reboot?  The MapGuide service requires the MENTOR_DICTIONARY_FILES environmental variable, and this isn't available to the service account until after a reboot (because it's already logged in).  For 2.2, I we want to move to reading the default dictionary directory from serverconfig.ini and webconfig.ini.  There's already code in there to read from an ADSK-specific directory if the env var isn't set; this would just expose that directory as a configurable item.