[mapguide-internals] Advanced stylization - global parameters for compound symbols?

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Wed Dec 16 18:53:45 EST 2009

Another way to make it work is to use the same name for each child symbol in the compound.  Then the override gets applied to all child symbols with that name and that parameter ID.

Keep in mind that if every child symbol in a compound has different parameter names then that increases the number of things the UI needs to be able to let the user control, whether at a global level or individual level.  So for example if you want to individually control the color of two separate child symbols then use different parameter names for each one.  But if you want the colors of both to always be the same then use the same parameter name.

Making the symbol name optional in the override seems like a reasonable idea.  To avoid a schema change (the SymbolName element is currently required) we could simply say that if the name is blank than it gets applied to all parameters with that identifier name.

Walt