[mapguide-internals] Advanced stylization - global parameters for compound symbols?

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Wed Dec 16 16:11:52 EST 2009

Has any thought been given to a mechanism for setting a parameter override
for a compound symbol at the global level and having it cascade down to all
of the simple symbols within?

I can think of a couple ways of doing this:

 - Make specification of the symbol name optional in the layer's override
declaration, and have it apply to all parameters sharing that identifier
within child simple symbols
 - Add some explicit mapping functionality to the compound symbol
declaration

Is there a mechanism for this that I'm missing?  Is this a bad idea?  I've
run across a few cases already where I want to set the same colour and
weight across a few different parts of a compound symbol, and getting
annoyed having to set them all in the layer definition.  If we ever do get a
GUI for this it will be a bit of a mess in these cases...