[mapguide-internals] Some pointers please for Integration into server code for MapGuide RFC 60

UV uvwild at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 23:35:33 EST 2009

Hi all,

I am working on  improvement of color palette quantization for PNG8 tiles.

The RFC has been set up in the wiki: MapGuideRfc60
<http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc60>
Any further ideas and comments are greatly appreciated.

In particular the best memory allocation strategy need to be decided on.
The options are mentioned in the RFC60.

The general algorithm has been implemented within AGGImageIO.cpp and
tested.
I found some pieces of png C code in there and simply added another 2
methods (~100 lines) to it.

Whats remaining now is the clean integration into the server and the
configuration issues.
Being fairly new to the mapguide server I can use some help where to
find things.
Searching the whole codebase has turned out to be very unefficient.

Therefore I would appreciate some pointers into the code tree:
- where to add the color extraction code from the  map definitions
(InitializeTileService????)
- where is the best place to add the color palette in the resource tree.
- where I can find example code that parses the map definition (for the
color extraction)
- whats the recommended way to throw an exception from the included C-code
 throw new std::exception("AGGImageIO.cpp:1086: the base color cannot be
found in the provided colormap: ABORT")

thanks for your support.