[mapguide-internals] Maestro and compatibility with previous mapguide versions.

Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S ks at geograf.dk
Fri Jul 24 03:16:10 EDT 2009

I have not yet had to make such a decision.
I have a pending change to support the "DisplayInLegend" part of
LayerDefinition-1.3.0.

I plan to support the feature in all versions of the LayerDefinition.
So the userinterface does not change, but obviously the feature does not
work with older versions.
I am able to store the data using the ExtendedData attributes as
suggested by Walt.
The spaghetti code is limited to the part that reads the property, as it
needs to look in two places.

I have no way of testing against multiple versions of MapGuide.
I usually test my changes only against the local version of MapGuide
that I have.
I have not yet seen an issue that was specific to a certain version of
MapGuide.

For the next big release of Maestro, I plan to have a brief period of
beta testing,
and I hope the users will test Maestro on various versions of MapGuide.
I understand that there are still 1.2 users.

As for the trunk issue, I plan to tag releases that are not just
revision builds.
That way users have easy access to older releases, should a certain
feature break something.

As I am currently the only developer on Maestro, I just commit my changes to
trunk. If a situation arises where there are multiple developers, I will
make branches
and restrict commits to single tickets.

Regards, Kenneth Skovhede, GEOGRAF A/S