[mapguide-internals] Motion: vote MapGuide RFC 78

Tom Fukushima tom.fukushima at autodesk.com
Mon Jul 27 11:55:05 EDT 2009

Hi,

I motion for a vote on

MapGuide RFC 78 - Enhance transaction capability to Feature Service
http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc78

Summary of review:

What happens when one of ExecuteSqlQuery or ExecuteSqlNonQuery fails?  Does the user need to rollback transaction within exception handling, or is this done automatically?
>>> No action taken.  To give flexibility, the user can do a Rollback in the exception handler.

In case that FDO provider doesn't support transaction, it throws exception?
>>> RFC updated: if a provider doesn't support transaction, BeginTransaction() will throw an MgInvalidOperationException saying transaction is not supported.

I think too that it doesn't have to do auto roll back but another question comes to me. I assume that MgTransaction will get hold on one particular FDO connection until either Rollback or Commit is executed ?
>>> Yes, MgTransaction will hold on the particular FDO connection until Commit or Rollback is executed. And there is also a timeout for transaction that if it's not committed or rollbacked within the timeout, the server will automatically rollback the transaction as mentioned in the RFC.

Add a UpdateFeatures that uses transaction:
>>> Description added.

+1 Tom

Thanks
Tom