[mapguide-internals] Motion: Give developers commit rights to work in a sandbox

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Thu Jun 25 17:46:06 EDT 2009

I'm not Kenneth, but... :)

You've cleared this up since, but your initial email where you talked about giving full commit rights felt a bit out of place given the difficulty getting commit rights for UV (which BTW I still feel was appropriate given that he was also essentially unknown to the community).  It may not have been your intention, but this did sound to me like "They work for Autodesk, and I trust them, so they should have access".  I think the general sandbox approach is fine, just that the initial message may have been misinterpreted.

I also agree with Paul that sandboxes should be available to anyone who needs one, but I wonder if there should be a specific reason (such as, overhauling the projection library, or integrating a REST extension, or writing a Flex-based client, or maintaining a custom branch for some product).  This has the benefit of making sandbox creation more about the function than about the person.  This is more about controlling the size of the repository than about trust / usefulness.  Once created, we could have an open-door policy about commit rights, but with the understanding that any code integrated into trunk would first require both a CLA and community review.  I guess I'm not really opposed to person-based sandboxes, but I can't think of a use case that project-based sandboxes wouldn't cover.