[mapguide-internals] MapGuide RFC 69 - Rendering Layer Styles using Style Order

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Thu Jun 25 23:06:55 EDT 2009

"Can some elaborate on how the server currently handles this?"
Handles what?

The current code iterates once over the features (ignore the compound line style example).  For every feature it evaluates the filters defined by the rules (in the order that the rules are specified).  Once it finds a matching rule it applies its style to the feature.

With compound line styles we make a pass over all the features for each line style.  So for a compound line style containing M styles we make M FDO queries.

With rendering passes (RFC 29) we also iterate over all the layer's features for each rendering pass.  The more passes you define the more queries you make.

How to implement your RFC?

option 1
- Make a pass over the features for each rule.
- During each pass only render the features that satisfy the rule for that pass.
- If there are M rules you will make M FDO queries.
=> performance (speed) will be unacceptable for anything more than a few themes

option 2
- Make one query against all the features, remembering (in memory?) all the feature information (attributes / geometry) needed by stylization.
- During the initial pass render the features for the first rule.
- Iterate over the remaining rules in order, rendering the features for each rule.
=> performance (memory use) will be unacceptable for data sources containing large numbers of features
=> this approach goes against the MG architecture of not keeping feature data in memory during stylization (we already break that rule with labels which is what leads to high memory usage spikes for some maps)

option 3
- Allocate one image per rule.
- Make one query against all the features, and render each feature into the image corresponding to the rule it satisifes.
- Merge all images at the end.
=> performance (speed + memory) will be unacceptable for anything more than a few themes

option 4
???