[mapguide-internals] About the WiX installer

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sat Mar 7 15:35:37 EST 2009

I believe that I can test on all of these; may take me a while to set up
the images.

#360 should be do-able; maybe create an app pool called MapGuide2.1.
#361 would be harder because you would have to somehow enumerate the
websites, and the modify a custom UI to allow the user to set the
website property.  I would personally give both of these a pass for at
least the beta version of the installer.

It looks like for IIS7 (Vista/W2k8) we will need to use a custom action;
the built-in WiX stuff does not support IIS7 and it doesn't look like it
will for quite a while.  See this conversation:

http://tinyurl.com/ccll7p

For IIS6, here are some cool snippets:

http://tinyurl.com/5jfnm9

BTW, Stack Overflow _rules_  Check out these WiX questions:

http://tinyurl.com/arlt56

  I think we should adopt the "alias" method of referring to wixlib
directories; this is the part I was missing about making them modular.
This way the main project needs to know about the libraries, but not
vice versa...

http://tinyurl.com/djo7pa

  More IIS6 tips, including how to register IIS file extensions

http://tinyurl.com/bnkffe

  I don't know if we need this for MapGuide (other than for REST
extension) but I'm going to find this useful personally.

BTW, Jackie, I think you're not using using the .bat files in
/Installer/Support/Paraffin?  If this is the case, these could be
removed.

To create custom UIs, WixEdit may be a good starting point:

http://wixedit.sourceforge.net/