[mapguide-internals] Installer: Easier, yes... but how did you manage it without...

Crispin_at_1Spatial crispin.hoult at 1spatial.com
Fri Mar 13 15:52:41 EDT 2009

Jackie / All,

Top Job!

I followed your build instructions (and Jason's comments) and found:

 * If you run from \trunk - ie run "\MgDev\Build.bat ..." then the FDO path
is not found and the batch exits.
As with most build commands I had to CD to the folder and run from there.

 * Running "Build.bat" directly from a regular cmd prompt the msbuild was
not on my default path unless you start the Start/All Progs/VS2008/Tools cmd
prompt (obvious once you know but...)
I think the FDO build sets this as an EnvVar so you can run from any cmd
prompt

I still had some core errors in build - perhaps you have EnvVars set that
are not in the documentation?
Seemed to generate bin/lib folders OK so progressed on.

 * After the file copy first time in Stage 1 build I saw some PERL error
stuff which wasn't in your list of pre-requisites
On a subsequent build this didn't occur.  Haven't investigated any further.

 * Stage 3: is not clear in your summary at the bottom of the blog article -
you need to CD to the maestro\maestro folder to run the appropriate environ
file

 * Stage 4: Similarly to above I had to CD to the maestro folder to run
build.bat

 * Stage 5: At the prepare stage I had no
"Installer\..\MgDev\Release\Server\" folder so something went wrong -
possibly in the errors I got at build - ie below the signature or
Manually creating this folder (empty) allowed me to proceed.

 * Stage 6: Run "build.bat" from the Installer folder.
Could be clearer from the paraffin downloads you just need to copy
paraffin.exe into the \Trunk\intsaller folder (but see below).

 * Stage 7: I got so far... and then!
    i) Had to rename the namespace in incMaestroBinFiles.wxs,
incCSMapDictionaryFiles.wxs, incFdoFiles.wxs

error CNDL0199: The Wix element has an incorrect namespace of
'http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2003/01/wi'.  Please make the Wix element
look like the following: <Wix
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi">.

   ii) Lots of errors to do with the WXS files generated by Paraffin: There
seems to be a mismatch between Parafin 1.0.4 and Wix 3.0?
	warning CNDL1069: The Directory/@LongName attribute has been deprecated

Determined not to be defeated I edited a couple of lines in the paraffin
source to rebuild paraffin.exe

Re-ran Stage 6 and 7 and I HAVE AN INSTALLER - will try it next week - have
a good weekend :-)
(only took 3 hours from first SVN refresh)

 Crispin

Paraffin/Main.cs: Line 90 becomes:

"http://schemas.microsoft.com/wix/2006/wi";

Paraffin/Main.cs: Line 1082 becomes:
                                        new XAttribute("Name", info.Name));
            //if ( info.Name != shortName )
            //{
             //   directoryNode.Add ( new XAttribute ( "LongName" ,
info.Name ) );
            //}

Paraffin/Main.sc: Line 1123 becomes:
                                   new XAttribute ( "Name" , longName ) );
            //if ( shortName != longName )
            //{
              //  file.Add ( new XAttribute ( "LongName" , longName ) );
            //}

Stage 1 First Build:

LINK : warning LNK4199: /DELAYLOAD:FdoGeometry.dll ignored; no imports found
from FdoGeometry.dll

Stage 1 Subsequent builds:

E:\Projects\MapGuide\trunk\MgDev>build.bat -a=build -w=all
Configuration is [Release]
Action is [build] on [all]
Deployment Directory for Server:
E:\Projects\MapGuide\trunk\MgDev\Release\Server

Deployment Directory for Web:
E:\Projects\MapGuide\trunk\MgDev\Release\WebServer
Extensions
CPU cores: 2
[build]: Building Oem
cl : Command line warning D9007: '/Gm' requires '/Zi or /ZI'; option ignored
cl : Command line warning D9007: '/Gm' requires '/Zi or /ZI'; option ignored
cl : Command line warning D9007: '/Gm' requires '/Zi or /ZI'; option ignored
[build]: Building Oem - CSMap
[build]: Building Server
Project : warning PRJ0018: The following environment variables were not
found:
Project : warning PRJ0018: The following environment variables were not
found:
[build]: Building Web Tier
Project : warning PRJ0018: The following environment variables were not
found:
Project : error PRJ0019: A tool returned an error code from "Performing
Pre-Bui
ld Event..."
[ERROR]: There was an error building the component