[mapguide-internals] Anyone need a build server? multi platform build system - YES PLEASE

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Fri Mar 20 07:37:05 EDT 2009

In the OpenLayers model, the sandbox directory is typically organized
by the users with a folder for each user and then the users manage
their own copies of the repository within that structure - but in the
end, it is totally free-form.  Users decide when to sync their sandbox
with trunk or whichever branch they copied, there is no automation to
this and I don't think there should be.

Only users with commit rights to trunk/branches are able to merge code
from the sandbox back into the main repository but this almost never
happens since users are expected to generate patches against trunk and
submit the patches.

I would highly recommend NOT having any sort of auto update of a
sandbox from the repository.  The process for sync'ing a copy in a
sandbox with trunk is simple and the process for generating patches
based on a diff between two locations is equally simple - not obvious
perhaps but it can (and has) been documented in the OpenLayers project
and a large number of people now have sandbox accounts that would
otherwise not contribute.

Obviously for simple changes, a sandbox is overkill - but for larger
changes, like refactoring code or sweeping documentation updates it is
very convenient to be able to check changes in, collaborate with
others, and all the other benefits of a revision control system apply
too.

Cheers

Paul

On 19-Mar-09, at 9:47 PM, UV wrote:

> Any submit to the master repository is also submitted to the sandbox
> repository/branchy. This way they stay in sync.
> (some further brainstorming might be useful to organize this in the
> best manner)

    Paul Spencer
    Chief Technology Officer
    DM Solutions Group Inc