[mapguide-internals] Re: 2.1.0 Final Windows Installer

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Nov 20 22:22:06 EST 2009

Hi Gabriele,

I will add some comments about svn checkout to the downloads page.

The 2.1 branch has been effectively frozen since June.  As far as I know, the only submissions made to that branch have been specific to bug fixes http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/log/branches/2.1/MgDev.

MgDev/trunk has always been the active development stream.  We only branch when we are getting close to a release.  And yes, trunk does get broken occasionally.

As Jason mentioned in a previous reply, it is true that MapGuide is less approachable as a Linux app.  This is something the PSC will need to look at.  Community support, sponsorship, and donations might help.  I have experience working with MapGuide on both Windows and Linux.  Windows is easier but Linux isn't so bad.

One area that definitely needs work is our documentation.  In previous releases, Autodesk donated a significant amount of time and effort into updating developer documentation, readmes, release notes, etc., for the community.  As we become a self-sustaining project, we will need to expend more effort into keeping the documentation up to date.

Every little bit helps.  And even making a few suggestions on the release notes does make a difference.

Thank you,