[mapguide-internals] RE: [mapguide-users] MapGuide Project Sponsorship RFC 83

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Thu Oct 1 23:26:58 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

I wanted to give a quick update on this RFC before updating it and sending it out for vote.  The only major issue raised was the $500 minimum sponsorship/donation amount.

I have been emailing with Frank Warmerdam and Tyler Mitchell and we should be able to use the OSGeo PayPal account to accept donations in any amount.  The only caveat is that someone from the project may need to help out with the accounting.  I can do that.  I have experience using PayPal and QuickBooks.

We should also set up a Sponsors/Donors page listing the individuals or corporations who have given money to the project.  Do we want to a make a distinction between a sponsor and a donor?  A donor would be someone who gives a one-time infusion to the project and a sponsor would be someone who plans to give a set dollar amount to the project every year.

For the yearly recurring sponsorship, we could set a minimum dollar amount of $100 assuming the sponsorship money is sent through the PayPal "donate" button.  To reduce the management overhead, I would also like to suggest that we only list donors who contribute $50 or more on the Donors/Sponsors page.

For both sponsors and donors, a listing on the Sponsors/Donors page is optional.  If we cannot add a "list me / do not list me" item to the PayPal button or notes, I can follow up with each sponsor/donor to see if they want to be listed on the webpage.

How does this sound?