[mapguide-internals] Update on builds infrastructure

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Sep 18 09:01:46 EDT 2009

Hi everyone,

After two days of trickery, I have successfully migrated the MapGuide Open Source build environment to VMware vSphere.  I decided to do this for a couple of reasons:

VMware is easier to use, more manageable, has integrated high availability and integrated backup capability.  I also have nearly three years of experience with VMware ESX technology.  From my perspective, it is simply a better fit especially from a multi-platform (Windows/Linux) perspective.

In addition, I am planning to move my VMware virtualization stack to a colocation site.  This should improve uptime and reliability of the build environment.  It also gives the Project the ability to host additional infrastructure such as a code review tool.

I am going to spend some time working on the build environment over the next few days.  The first task on my list is to integrate the installer into the build environment.  I will likely ping the list a few times as I work through the process.

Jason - depending on your timelines and availability, I may be able to generate the second beta which was discussed at the PSC meeting last week.  I should have something by end of next week if I don't hit too many snags.