[mapguide-internals] MrSid, ECW MGOS 2.1 and Maestro 2.0 RC 1

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 15 22:50:49 EST 2010

Jason Birch wrote:
> On 15 February 2010 09:07, Andy Morsell wrote:
>
>> We really can't expect each user who wants ECW and JPEG2000 support in MGOS
>> to go through this process.  The ideal solution would be for the files to
>> be
>> redistributed with the GDAL FDO provider.
>
> Ideal maybe, but IMO not going to happen with the current redistribution
> requirements for the runtime.  If I recall correctly, these terms were
> incompatible with our distribution methods and/or license.  I believe that
> the MrSID terms were easier to deal with, but a bit fuzzy now.
>
> Frank is probably more in touch with this stuff than I am...

Folks,

I do not believe we can redistribute something built against the ECW SDK
without the agreement of Leica.  If someone wants to they could contact
Leica and seek permission (in writing).  If they give permission it will
almost certainly be necessary to have a click-through license in the mapguide
installer requiring the user to agree to some particular terms from Leica.

The MrSID SDK licensing is, in my opinion, fairly straight forward and I
see no problem with bundling it with MapGuide.  There will be a need to
include a README with the MrSID EULA.  I include the attached file in
the OSGeo4W MrSID package.  I believe I have cleared the specifics with a
Lizardtech representative (MPG).

Best regards,