[mapguide-internals] MrSid, ECW MGOS 2.1 and Maestro 2.0 RC 1
warmerdam at pobox.com
Mon Feb 15 22:50:49 EST 2010
Jason Birch wrote:
> On 15 February 2010 09:07, Andy Morsell wrote:
>> We really can't expect each user who wants ECW and JPEG2000 support in MGOS
>> to go through this process. The ideal solution would be for the files to
>> redistributed with the GDAL FDO provider.
> Ideal maybe, but IMO not going to happen with the current redistribution
> requirements for the runtime. If I recall correctly, these terms were
> incompatible with our distribution methods and/or license. I believe that
> the MrSID terms were easier to deal with, but a bit fuzzy now.
> Frank is probably more in touch with this stuff than I am...
I do not believe we can redistribute something built against the ECW SDK
without the agreement of Leica. If someone wants to they could contact
Leica and seek permission (in writing). If they give permission it will
almost certainly be necessary to have a click-through license in the mapguide
installer requiring the user to agree to some particular terms from Leica.
The MrSID SDK licensing is, in my opinion, fairly straight forward and I
see no problem with bundling it with MapGuide. There will be a need to
include a README with the MrSID EULA. I include the attached file in
the OSGeo4W MrSID package. I believe I have cleared the specifics with a
Lizardtech representative (MPG).
I set the clouds in motion - turn up | Frank Warmerdam, warmerdam at pobox.com
light and sound - activate the windows | http://pobox.com/~warmerdam
and watch the world go round - Rush | Geospatial Programmer for Rent
-------------- next part --------------
LICENSEE shall redistribute the Licensed Products to end users by means of an End User License Agreement ("EULA"). LICENSEE shall provide clear notice to end users before or at the time of delivery of the Licensed Products that: (1) the Licensed Products contains technology owned by LIZARDTECH; and (2) the end user has no rights to further distribute the Licensed Products. LICENSEE shall distribute the EULA in a manner that forms a contract binding the end user to the EULA terms under applicable law. LICENSEE may include in the EULA additional notices or other provisions, so long as they are no less protective of LIZARDTECH than the terms set forth below. LICENSEE shall substitute its name for the bracketed text [LICENSEE] in the EULA text. If permitted by LICENSEE's other software suppliers for a particular LICENSEE Product, LICENSEE may substitute for the word "LIZARDTECH" the term "[LICENSEE's] software suppliers". The EULA shall substantially contain the following terms:
* You have acquired a product ("PRODUCT") that includes software licensed by [LICENSEE] from LIZARDTECH, INC. Those installed software products of LIZARDTECH origin, as well as any associated media, printed materials, and "online" or electronic documentation ("SOFTWARE") are protected by copyright laws and international copyright treaties, as well as other intellectual property laws and treaties. The SOFTWARE is licensed, not sold.
* MrSID software is protected by United States Copyright Law and International Treaty provisions and by U.S. Patent No. 5,710,835. Foreign patents are pending. Some of the MrSID technology was developed through a project at the Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) funded by the U.S. Government, managed under contract by the Regents of the University of California (University). The U.S. Government and the University have reserved rights in the Technology, including the following: (a) the U.S. Government has a non-exclusive, nontransferable, irrevocable, paid-up license to practice or have practiced throughout the world, for or on behalf of the United States, inventions covered by the University's Patent Rights, and has other rights under 35 U.S.C. Â§ 200-212 and applicable implementing regulations and under the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Assignment and Confirmatory License through which the DOE's rights in the Technology were assigned to the University; (b) Under 35 U.S.C. Â§ 203, the DOE has the right to require LizardTech to grant a non-exclusive, partially exclusive or exclusive license under U.S. Patent No. 5,710,835 in any field of use to a responsible applicant(s) upon terms reasonable under the circumstances, if LizardTech does not adequately attempt to commercialize the MrSID Technology. See, 37 CFR 401.6; (c) The University makes no warranty or representation as to the validity or scope of Patent No. 5,710,835, and neither the Government nor the University have any obligation to furnish any know-how, technical assistance, or technical data in connection with MrSID software. For further information about these provisions, contact LizardTech, 1008 Western Ave., Suite 200, Seattle, WA 98104.
* If you do not agree to this End User License Agreement ("EULA"), do not use the PRODUCT. Promptly contact LICENSEE] for instructions on return of the unused PRODUCT(S) for a refund. Any use of the SOFTWARE, including but not limited to use of the PRODUCT, will constitute your agreement to this EULA (or ratification of any previous consent).
* Grant of License. You are granted a personal, nonsublicensable, nontransferable, nonexclusive license to use the SOFTWARE as integrated in the PRODUCT (as well as any associated documentation). You will not rent, sell, lease or otherwise distribute the SOFTWARE or any part of it.
* NO WARRANTIES FOR THE SOFTWARE. The SOFTWARE is provided "AS IS" and with all faults. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO SATISFACTORY QUALITY, PERFORMANCE, ACCURACY, AND EFFORT (INCLUDING LACK OF NEGLIGENCE) IS WITH YOU. ALSO, THERE IS NO WARRANTY AGAINST INTERFERENCE WITH YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE SOFTWARE OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED ANY WARRANTIES REGARDING THE PRODUCT OR THE SOFTWARE, THOSE WARRANTIES DO NOT ORIGINATE FROM, AND ARE NOT BINDING ON, LIZARDTECH.
* NO LIABILITY FOR CERTAIN DAMAGES. EXCEPT AS PROHIBITED BY LAW, LIZARDTECH SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY FOR ANY INDIRECT, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR INCIDENTAL DAMAGES ARISING FROM OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE USE OR PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. THIS LIMITATION SHALL APPLY EVEN IF ANY REMEDY FAILS OF ITS ESSENTIAL PURPOSE.
* Limitations on Reverse Engineering, Decompilation, and Disassembly. You may not reverse engineer, decompile, or disassemble the SOFTWARE, except and only to the extent that such activity is expressly permitted by applicable law notwithstanding this limitation.
* Export Restrictions. You acknowledge that the SOFTWARE, or any part thereof, or any process or service that is the direct product of the SOFTWARE (the foregoing collectively referred to as the "Restricted Components") are of U.S. origin. You agree to comply with all applicable international and national laws that apply to these products, including the U.S. Export Administration Regulations, as well as end-user, end-use and destination restrictions issued by U.S. and other governments.
More information about the mapguide-internals