[mapguide-internals] Re: Getting closer with 64 bit installer

Jason Birch jason at jasonbirch.com
Tue Jul 6 03:19:54 EDT 2010

The installer conditionals are already really complicated, and I worry that
adding more special cases will increase our risk and the complexity of
troubleshooting user installs.

I do agree that requiring a reboot is silly, but I also don't really see it
as a huge problem.  For development platforms, rebooting isn't a big deal,
and for production platforms the extra time for a reboot isn't much of an
issue considering that you're likely doing this no more than twice a year,
and have already scheduled downtime for cold backup, uninstall, re-install.
 Yes, it's not compliant with Windows best practices, and it's ugly, but the
cost to the end user is relatively low.

What I would like to see is an increased isolation from system / registry
settings with the following:

- MapGuide server and web tier pulling CS-Map path from an ini file setting
(no need for env var setting or reboot)
- PHP running as FastCGI, picking up its INI settings from installation
directory (no more need for PHP registry key)

Unfortunately, I don't have money to put where my mouth is, and both are too
much work to get into 2.2 even if I did.

Regardless, this isn't really a sticking point for me, I just think the
costs of removing the reboot requirement from this one configuration (I'm
still surprised it isn't more widespread) are not worth the benefit.

Jason