[mapguide-internals] Review RFC 108 - support Watermark

Trevor Wekel trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Fri Jul 30 14:53:38 EDT 2010

Hi Buddy,

I agree with Jason and Jackie.

We should be using and referencing a SymbolDefinition resource in the new "WaterMark" resource.  This provides better flexibility for defining the watermark.  The SymbolDefinition is a XML document.  Our end users can create and customize this by hand.  A DWF-based watermark could lead to vendor lock in since DWF editing support is less common.  As Jackie mentioned, Maestro does not support DWF.

It might be worthwhile to investigate how SymbolDefinition can support watermarking.  For example, the SymbolDefinition "Image" can be an inline base64 encoded PNG image with the width and height defined in mm and the x and y coordinates in symbol space also defined in mm.  I suspect the "WaterMark" resource may only need to specify where to put the symbol (top right, bottom left, etc - ie, define a "point feature" for the symbol) and then reference the SymbolDefinition.

To support WMS, the LayerDefinition will need to support a "WaterMark" reference.  Our WMS implementation knows nothing about "maps" so the watermark information must be contained in the LayerDefinition.  Maestro, MapGuide Studio, and AutoCAD Map will need to write this information as part of "WMS publishing".

Support for multiple watermarks on the same map would also be good.  This is hinted at by the "WaterMarkList" in MgMap.  Not all data served by MapGuide will come from the same source.  Only specific data sources / layers would require the map to be watermarked.  The complete "map" watermark could be the collection of the defined watermarks from the MapDefinition and all referenced LayerDefinitions.  For example, if Autodesk was serving a Navteq layer on the web, the MapDefinition could define "(c) Autodesk" as text and Navteq layer could define the "(c) Navteq" so you'd end up with

(c) Autodesk
(c) Navteq

Watermarked in the final output image.  This is a bit strange but it might help customers comply with data licensing requirements and still give them the ability to "mark" everything they serve with their own brand.