[mapguide-internals] Re: The coordinate system initialization failed

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Mon Jun 14 05:21:34 EDT 2010

> Everything is working fine except the FDO connection to database. I keep
> receiving:
>
> CLNT_8_UNABLE_TO_LOAD_LIBRARY
>
> I have tried Postgis and Postgres FDO connection, but the result is the
> same.
>
> I don't know what else can I do... help is really, really appreciated.
> Thanks...

We're using OGR Provider to connect to PostgreSQL.

PostGIS provider in the past was not reliable enough and moreover
require one datasource for each schema, thus would require us to
manually modify several hundreds of layer.

OGR provider uses GDAL, but the version built with mapguide doesn't
have postgresql support compiled in.

The following actions works for us (Debian Lenny, Mapguide 2.1 and
probably CentOS + Mapguide 2.2 beta (testing in progress)):

* Download from SVN gdal sources from branch 1.6 (the last stable
version is 1.6.3)
* Install postgresql headers and any other dependencies
* Configure GDAL to be built with postgresql support
* Move /usr/local/fdo-3.5.0/lib/libgdal.so.1.13.0 in a backup copy
* Copy there your new gdal library (libgdal.so.1.13.3)
* Fix libgdal.so and libgdal.so.1 symbolic links to point to newer libgdal
* execute ldd *.so | grep "found" in the directory
/usr/local/fdo-3.5.0/lib/ to identify missing libraries (you may need
to set the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH as in
/usr/local/mapguideopensource/server/bin/mgserver.sh. Moreover you can
ignore missing references into providers that you don't use, eg in
oracle provider)
* In particular double check that ldd libgdal*.so finds the references
to libpq (postgresql library) and that libOGRProvider do not show any
"not found"

If you don't find unexpected "not found libraries", this is a good
point since CLNT_8_UNABLE_TO_LOAD_LIBRARY is FDO way to tell you that
there is a missing reference to a library.

Feel free to ask me if i've not been clear enough in some points.

Gabriele Monfardini