[mapguide-internals] RFC 90 Meta Tiling Support

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 21:19:33 EDT 2010

Sorry everyone, we should of posted to internals first.

that said there's a hell of lot of stuff done by AutoDesk Developers which
doesn't really follow this pattern at all either... just saying :) but
regardless
that's no excuse, we should of posted to the list first.

sandboxes are play grounds and the meta tiling work Uv is doing is very
much a work in progress at the moment. Once he has nutted out the
details he will post more info to internals

so, lets leave that behind and rewind the clock....

I have posted a Draft of RFC 90 on trac

http://trac.osgeo.org/mapguide/wiki/MapGuideRfc90

This is a proposal to add meta tiling support to the mapguide engine.

The current approach is define a meta tile size factor in the serverconfig.ini
which then works in the back ground, rendering a large tile and then
slicing it into the normal tile sizes.

Given the static nature and global nature of anything done via serverconfig.ini,
this is all or nothing. I think we have resource headers which could be
used a lot more than we do currently, that way we can make map specific
configuration overrides.

For example, image format, selection color and meta tile factor would
all be good candidates for setting via resource headers. That would
avoid having to rev the xml def's to add such functionality.

Being able to tune maps configurationwithout changing a global setting
and restarting the server would be a good thing... RFC worthy?

Back to meta tiling...

Another approach would be to add support for a RENDERMETATILE mapagent,
which would avoid the locking and polling in the current model.

Uv's work so far at the base implementation is the rfc90 sandbox

Regards

Zac