[mapguide-internals] Resource Content and Response versions.
trevor_wekel at otxsystems.com
Mon May 17 11:49:36 EDT 2010
1. The server should be able to read old schema and assume "reasonable" defaults for any new schema elements. However, I do not know if this has been exhaustively tested. Typically, "writing" is done through Maestro or Studio. Studio generally writes the latest version of the schema and will upgrade old schema to new schema when a resource content is saved.
2. That is correct. They are mostly just XML blobs with an associated schema definition as far as the server is concerned.
3. Yes. It just sucks the XML out of BDBXML. It may support conversion to JSON.
4. SETRESOURCE just checks schema validity and writes it to BDBXML.
5. The onus would be on the client application. Might be a bug...
6. It should. It if doesn't, we should fix it.
From: mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org [mailto:mapguide-internals-bounces at lists.osgeo.org] On Behalf Of Jackie Ng
Sent: May 17, 2010 3:49 AM
To: mapguide-internals at lists.osgeo.org
Subject: [mapguide-internals] Resource Content and Response versions.
I have some questions about the versioning of resource content and mapagent
1. Can a MapGuide Server read/write all versions of a resource content
schema? eg. Does a MGOS 2.0 server read/write LayerDefinition (v1.0.0 to
v1.2.0 and everything in between)?
2. Is it true that the server doesn't do any resource content upgrades? Am I
assuming any upgrades are done by client applications such as MapGuide
3. Does a GETRESOURCECONTENT call (from mapagent or MapGuide API) return the
resource content "as-is" without any pre-response modifications? If the
resource content contains ExtendedData elements, is it the responsibility of
the client application to determine if this ExtendedData elements make any
4. Similarly for a SETRESOURCE call (from mapagent or MapGuide API) am I
assuming the only pre-processing is the migration of unknown elements (eg.
from a newer version of an xsd schema) to ExtendedData xml elements and
adjustment of version numbers?
5. The AJAX Viewer has been modified to handle a new <EnablePingServer>
option introduced in WebLayout-1.1.0.xsd. If question 3 holds true, how does
this AJAX viewer handle a 1.0.0 WebLayout document? Is it the onus on the
client application to handle these versioning issues?
6. For non-resource content responses (eg. FdoProviderCapabilities or
SiteVersion), does the VERSION parameter determine which version of the
response I will receive? For example does a GETSITEVERSION (VERSION=1.0.0)
give me a 1.0.0 SiteVersion response? Does a VERSION=2.2.0 call give me a
View this message in context: http://osgeo-org.1803224.n2.nabble.com/Resource-Content-and-Response-versions-tp5064339p5064339.html
Sent from the MapGuide Internals mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
mapguide-internals mailing list
mapguide-internals at lists.osgeo.org
More information about the mapguide-internals