[mapguide-internals] Berkeley DBXML native libraries on Linux

Martin Morrison martin.morrison at edsi.com
Thu May 20 22:44:00 EDT 2010

Why should I have to use a programmer's code management tool (SVN) to check out something to tell me load "xyz" when I could access it from a document on a webpage?  I may not even be at my workstation.  I'm NOT going to load those tools on a production server.

There are numerous complaints on this forum about new/inexperienced/inept people not knowing the simplest things, yet we don't truly have proper clear documentation on what is needed?  If you tell me as sysadmin I need this, this and this in each of there respective versions and I need this configured specially to these specs, I can do that without a problem.  If I'm expected to read all of the trouble tickets, code, wikis, blogs, home pages etc, just to get a list, how many errors will I have?  A LOT.

Want more people using beta?  Make it easier.

When I worked as gis admin at one of the largest power companies in the US, I had to follow production management procedures for SOX compliance.  The programmers didn't like it when they had to write the docs up.  But they DID LIKE it when they didn't have to deal with it again, especially in the middle of the night.

Martin

PS: Just to be clear, some people on the list deserved to be flamed for the lack of programming skills and the questions they asked...nobody in this present discussion fits the criteria.