[mapguide-internals] Re: CSS sprited legend images - RFC

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Sun May 22 21:37:33 EDT 2011

At the moment, our current fusion modifications pre-cache layer icons (with
inline data URIs) up to:

 a) 25 icons per style (ie. If a theme has > 25 rules, it generates the
first 25 icons)
 b) 3 scale ranges deep (from the top-most downwards)

But even with this approach, we are still bottlenecked somewhat by
MgMappingService::GenerateLegendImage(), as we have to call this
individually *per icon*. Looking at the server-side implementation of this
API, it looks like it has to scan at the LayerDefinition content *every
time*
we want an icon.

What would be nice is to have a batched form of this API, that returns a
JSON-encoded structure that Zac described. Also this API can be subject to
the same server-caching rules that apply to Feature Schemas and Spatial
Contexts (cache it until a SETRESOURCE call is made on that Layer Definition
ID)