[mapguide-internals] Re: Upgrade to VC10 and GDAL 1.9

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 07:50:02 EST 2012

A little update on my tale of getting VC10-compatible binaries.

I was able to successfully build Apache from source for both x86/x64, so far
so good.

PHP is a whole different story and I am roadblocked at this point. The
binaries under Oem\php does not seem to constitute a functional PHP
distribution. Compare the file listings to the binary release of PHP 5.3.8
and you will see that it is missing a whole lot of dlls which I presume to
be the compiled set of the prerequisite libraries needed by PHP (zlib,
libiconv, libxml2, icu) as described here:

https://wiki.php.net/internals/windows/libs#third_party_libraries

So I tried in vain to build these from source:

 * icu - VS2005 sln was provided, converted to VS2010 and built without
issues
 * zlib - No problems
 * libiconv - No msvc makefiles. No sln/vcproj files. Win32 build
instructions only covers cygwin/mingw which is not acceptable!
 * libxml2 - Depends on libiconv, so I can't build this either.

I'm starting to think moving to VC10 is becoming a bad idea. We need VC10
web component binaries and I just cannot build all the required bits from
scratch!