[mapguide-internals] What MapGuide does during database schema discovery?

Zac Spitzer zac.spitzer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 19:40:01 PDT 2014

let's not even talk about FDO class naming conventions, I'm way too scarred
by
that experience

OGR is a generic provider, whereas the specific providers should use the
most
database optimised approach to extracts extents, I'm pretty certain the
PostgreSQL/PostGIS provider is going to be better that the reliable brute
force

it's easy enough to test this, just create a feature source and see how
long it
take to initialise

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM, Gabriele Monfardini
<gabrimonfa at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi Zac,
>

> > surely the native FDO provider is going to perform far better than OGR?
> >

> from my stress tests, the performance is similar and acceptable for both.
>
> I had some problems with native FDO PostgreSQL/PostGIS provider in a map
> with custom simbols (I'm currently trying to produce a useful test case to
> file a possible bug).
>
> A minor "problem" is also to change the name of schema and table in each
> layer that use the provider, which is annoying if you have several hundreds
> of layers.
>
> BTW, do you think that changing provider will change schema discovery
> strategy?
>
> Regards,
>
> Gabriele

Zac Spitzer