[mapguide-internals] MapGuide 2.5.2 crash on a layer with malformed tooltip

Gabriele Monfardini gabrimonfa at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 01:21:25 PST 2014

Hi, I'm on

mapguide 2.5.2 32 bit @ centos 6
OGR Provider (with libgdal recompiled to support PostgreSQL).

one of my colleague by mistake set a layer tooltip mixing double quotes and
single quotes.
In particular, since the tooltip had some words within single quotes, he
surrounded the entire tooltip within double quotes, instead of properly
escaping single quotes.
The wrong tooltip was like

<Tooltip>"Something like this 'bla bla' R. G. 'bla bla'"</Tooltip>

When hovering the mouse on the polygon with this tooltip MapGuide 2.5.2
(but also 2.4.0) crashed without logging anything.
This happened always, so it's easily reproducible.

Validating the problematic layer with Maestro did not reveal the problem.
Fixing the tooltip solved the problem.

I'm worried about this crash because we have a lot of maps and many
different people working on map authoring, so wrong tooltip may happens
from time to time and I've not yet found a systematic way to check them.

Does anyone have found something similar?
Should I open a bug?
Suggestions to check tooltips?

Thanks and best regards,

Gabriele Monfardini