[mapguide-internals] Mapguide Popular 3D Geographic Data Support and Viewer

Jackie Ng jumpinjackie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 07:17:54 PDT 2019

My stance on MapGuide's role in 3D mapping is that it should be able to serve
data in formats easily consumable by existing 3D viewer offerings out there
like Google Earth, cesium.js, kepler.gl, etc, etc. The data being served may
be dedicated 3D data formats or 3D extrusions/projections of 2D data like
we're currently doing with KML. I'm not keen on building our own 3D viewer.

Anything beyond that is mission creep in my view.

Are there standardized 3D geographic data formats out there? Wouldn't want
to risk betting on the wrong horse by supporting something that only one
particular viewer can use (eg. CZML for cesium.js).

Sent from: http://osgeo-org.1560.x6.nabble.com/MapGuide-Internals-f4209935.html