Raster Provider conflict with MapGuide 6.5

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Mon Aug 28 22:57:24 EDT 2006

Hi,
I have been running MapGuide 6.5 side-by-side with the various builds of
MapGuide Open Source without any problems.  Lately, I was able to get the
OSGeo raster provider working with MGOS and it now appears to be conflicting
with my MapGuide 6.5 server install.  MGOS is occasionally locking up, and
when this happens, an unrelated MapGuide 6.5 site becomes unresponsive.  I
am able to trace this to an ECW hillshade image.  If I turn off that layer,
MG 6.5 will then continue to respond favorably.  Unfortunately, this layer
was on by default when the user first opened the map, so that wasn't working
well for them.

I was able to confirm that it was conflict with MGOS.  When both MGOS and MG
6.5 were unresponsive, I bounced the MGOS service and MG 6.5 then became
responsive again.  In this case, the image that both maps are serving is the
same file name, but totally different physical files - the MGOS one has been
uploaded to the repository.  This is a 10 MB ECW and is the same one I
uploaded to my FTP site for Autodesk folks a couple of weeks ago.

For now, I have turned off the raster imagery in the MGOS site to prevent
this problem from occurring.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com