[mapguide-users] RE: WMS and MapGuide Enterprise 2007 problem

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Mon Jul 10 14:30:39 EDT 2006

I am tending to remain optimistic. I've seen MapGuide Open Source (and now
enterprise) come a long way since the alpha stages almost two years ago.
The one thing to keep in mind is that this is brand new software compared to
MapGuide 6.5 which is 10 years old.  It has not had time to reach the same
maturity that can only come with public releases and subsequent bug fixes.

I do agree, that by its very nature and architecture, MapGuide 6.5 is far
easier to deploy and develop on.  But, the architecture of MapGuide Open
Source is much better and they have moved API tasks to where it should be;
the web tier.  Also, trying to develop a platform agnostic software package
has got to be incredibly challenging.  Going open source is also a good move
as (hopefully) future core enhancements and bug fixes will be more in the
community's hands rather than being completely dependent on Autodesk.

I have not had any problems with WMS up until this point (except for the
bounding polygon being drawn) and I do not know for sure what the problem is
yet (it could be something on my end), so I'm waiting to pass judgment on
this particular issue.

Andy