Google Maps and KML Support

Juan Butler jpbutler at pinellascounty.org
Wed Jun 14 11:51:16 EDT 2006

Andy:

I've done the Google Maps thing in the past with Web Services.  It creates
the markers on the fly via the XML that is returned from the Web Service.
The one, big issue I had was with performance.  It seemed to take a long
time to return the markers to the map.  If I loaded about 100 markers, it
took a very long time.  What do you think about the performance on your
side?    I would probably continue to use the Web Service to return the
marker information for Google Maps.   Do you see any advantages to using the
MGOS resources to query the information.  I was thinking that Oracle Spatial
is much faster than doing some of the complex spatial queries our users ask
for.

I've got the WMS working quite well on my laptop.  Man this is a whole lot
nicer than the Liteview configs I'm use to.   I'm hoping to push some of
these out to our Internet server.

Let me know what you think about the overall performance of displaying the
placemarks on Google Maps.

As for Google Earth, I'm starting to look at what Jason did and getting it
done for .NET.   It seems that Google Earth is a little bit of a memory hog.
I'll let you know if I run into any issues.

- Juan