.NET Installer Problem and Fix

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Sat Mar 11 18:22:14 EST 2006

I believe this was a problem for some .NET web extensions installs in the
0.91 release, but I just ran into it on a fresh install of 1.0 on Windows
2000 Server IIS.  The symptoms: when running the sample .NET application,
you get the following error (you may first have to turn on custom errors in
a web.config file):

Server Error in '/mapguide/dotnetviewersample' Application.

The path '/mapguide/dotnetviewersample/App_GlobalResources/' maps to a
directory outside this application, which is not supported.

Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: The path
'/mapguide/dotnetviewersample/App_GlobalResources/' maps to a directory
outside this application, which is not supported.

Either the web extensions installer or IIS adds a backslash to the main
application definition in IIS.  In IIS, right-click on the mapguide virtual
directory, go to Properties, and then look at the local path value.  If you
are getting this error, it will probably read: C:\Program
Files\MapGuideOpenSource\WebServerExtensions\www\.  Delete the final
backslash after www and that should fix the problem.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com