[mapguide-users] Session timeout in viewer samples

Alain Lebatard alain.lebatard at autodesk.com
Wed Mar 22 18:32:40 EST 2006

When the session expires, the map state is lost, which includes the
current scale, the selection, the temporary layers the application might
have created (such as buffer layers), ...I don't see anything that can
be done about it.

However both Joel's suggestions are valid. Extending the session timeout
will allow your PC to stay idle for a longer time. As far as I know the
sessions are not managed in memory so increasing the session timeout
should just increase the disk space used by the sessions.

The client can also handle its own timeout and force a refresh of the
main frame when the timeout expires. That will cause a new session to be
created so the current map state will be lost, but at least user won't
get this ugly "session expired" error. The timeout needs to be reset
when the user moves the mouse for example, so this mechanism needs to be
hooked up in the viewer.

Alain

  _____