[mapguide-users] DWF Viewer and map requests, scale dependent geometry

Walt Welton-Lair walt.welton-lair at autodesk.com
Wed Mar 22 18:41:28 EST 2006

Some notes:

1/ There is some potential for optimization here; for example the case where you zoom in slightly.  The server could detect this and not return all the graphics.

2/ Keep in mind that the new MapGuide is fundamentally different than the old.  All feature data lives on the server, and thus stylization of that data has to happen on the server.  Also, the client and server need to stay in synch as far as the session state goes.  If you change the view in any way on the client (pan/zoom, toggle a layer's visibility) then this *must* be communicated to the server.  Any optimizations that get performed would be around how the server responds to these updates.

3/ DWF Viewer currently does not cache data.  If the need is high enough we could add this support to a future version of the viewer.

Walt