Future Raster support - transparency?

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Mon Mar 27 11:21:40 EST 2006

Frank and Autodesk,
Will the GDAL raster provider or the Autodesk raster provider have support
for transparency in non-bitonal imagery?

The fact that the existing MapGuide 6.5 and below does not support this has
been a major problem for several of my clients.  The problem that arises is
that tiled imagery is often obtained from a source in one coordinate system
and then is transformed to the desired map coordinate system.  This results
in black "wedges" along all of the edges of the resultant orthogonal image.
MapGuide 6.5 does not allow you to specify a null color value (to
non-bitonal images) so when image tiles are viewed together, the sliver from
one image blocks part of another image.  To get around this, the clients
have had to spend a large amount of time, resources and money (for special
image software) pre-processing the imagery.  We end up having to mosaic the
projected images and then tiling back out into orthogonal pieces.

Thanks for considering this.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com