[mapguide-users] shp or sdf advantages/disadvanatges

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Thu May 18 11:09:04 EDT 2006

I have also found that for larger Shape files, converting to SDF at load
time results in much better performance.  For large parcel datasets, I also
generalize the data using FME.   Since SDF+ contains all of the attribute
information from the source Shape files DBF, you would probably want to just
use that for tooltips, etc. rather than linking to the DBF file.  FME from
Safe Software also will soon be including SDF+ support in their product.
The current beta version downloadable from their web site supports SDF+

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com

  _____