[mapguide-users] Linux and raster support?

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Sun Nov 12 14:15:39 EST 2006

Andy Morsell wrote:
> Frank,
> For the KG project, ECW and MrSID support is not needed at this time, only
> JPG.  Those were just a couple of my own test images from one of my existing
> MGOS sites that I was playing around with.  I do see support for these
> formats being generally important to other users, however, so I'm wondering
> if the external components or whatever is needed can be added to subversion
> at some point?

Andy,

Well, I think the solution is to make it easier for folks to build in the
optional components for the Thirdparty/Gdal tree.  Looking through the
Thirdparty tree, I think this can be accomplished by editing the
Thirdparty.sh script (on Linux) and adding the usual MrSID and ECW configure
options.

We might be able to include the ECW SDK within the Third party tree if we
thought it was sufficiently important, but the ECW SDK license would need
careful review.   The MrSID SDK is provided only as binaries, and is not
open source in any sense.  I think it would have to remain optional with
the builder fetching it and ensuring that licensing requirements are
complied with.

I think some discussion by the FDO PSC would be appropriate about how to
handle such optional components.

Best regards,