[mapguide-users] the time is over!!!

Jason Birch Jason.Birch at nanaimo.ca
Sun Oct 1 17:27:22 EDT 2006

(personal opinion here, not representing my employer)

I don't see that Autodesk needs to support the community beyond the proprietary Studio application that they sell.  They have done enough by providing MapGuide Open Source for us to work with along with its open XML-based APIs, and it's not like they were not up front about the Studio preview timing out.

If there are enough users that can not or do not wish to use Autodesk's Studio product, perhaps there are also enough funds or coding ability within our community to add the required additional features to Web Studio?  This is, after all, the beauty of Open Source.  If you don't like the existing features, add your own.

I have already taken advantage of this ability in two ways myself: the PostGIS FDO provider, and something else that I'm not ready to talk about yet.  However, for authoring it is more cost effective for me to just buy the Studio product from Autodesk than to pay for the enhancement of Web Studio.

Jason