[mapguide-users] Am i on the Right Track?

Andy Morsell amorsell at spatialgis.com
Fri Oct 13 11:11:05 EDT 2006

I have an example where this kind of thing is done.  It opens a new window
for the report, but could just as easily target a frame.   It uses the
standard Autodesk Sheboygan sample application.  This is an example of using
an old MapGuide 6.5 report and making it work with MGOS without any changes
to the report itself.

Zoom in so parcels are displayed, select some, then select Parcel Summary
Report under the Tasks menu.  You will see a couple of alert boxes popup
(they are intentional) and then the report will open.  The JavaScript alerts
are left in there on purpose so people (other developers) can see what
MapGuide is actually doing in terms of the selectionXML formation and the
FeatureID keys that it forms for objects.  The report itself is on a
different server - it's one of Autodesk's that they use for their AE demos.
I think it uses Access for the database.

http://mapguide.spatialgis.com/mapguide/dotnetviewersample/ajaxviewersample.
aspx

Regarding using MG 6.5 versus MGE: we know that MG 6.5 development has
stopped and no new features or releases will occur.  Autodesk has said that
they will continue to support it (and confusingly, sell it) for a number of
years.  Based on that alone, if would be the most forward-thinking decision
to go with MGE if you are starting a site from scratch.

Andy Morsell, P.E.
Spatial Integrators, Inc.
http://www.SpatialGIS.com